Monday, April 16, 2012

Bunnies with a choking hazard

Eat the waabbit!  Eat the waabbit! Not exactly the Bugs Bunny cartoon but eat the rabbits is what we got to do today. In the absence of anything signed up we finally got to chow down on the chocolate bunnies that were part of the Easter basket from last week. We had two - one milk chocolate hollow bunny courtesy of Lindt and another darker solid bunny from Russell Stover.

The Russell Stover bunny boasted of being hand crafted in small batches for Easter.   Given the decoration and the packaging it is hard not to conclude that this was made in a mold perhaps having been poured into the mold by hand but we doubt it. Still it was good and solid and went a long way.  We were amused at the description of the serving size as 1/5 of the rabbit. Someone wondered whether that would be traumatic for kids to read. That's a bit of a stretch.  The ears went first and when the next part to get lopped off was the rear end it provided the opportunity for us to learn the proper way to say it in French - derriere - as opposed to the impolite way - le cul! We'll add this to our expanding knowledge of vulgarités françaises!

The Lindt bunny was a little more elegant with its gold foil cover and festive red ribbon.  Apparently in Europe there is also a tiny bell with the ribbon tied around the neck of the bunny. Why Lindt chose to deprive the American consumer of this additional decorative motif is unsure but it is lame. We should get the same bells and whistles as the French!

These were somewhat predictable as far as taste goes. The Lindt milk chocolate was creamy and smooth and the Rusell Stover a little coarser and dark.  Lindt seems to have creamy and smooth down pat.  Whether it is some secret to the recipe or some secret added emulsifier will remain a mystery. Hopefully it is the former.

 Although our Lindt bunny is cute and innocent looking apparently it is also a deadly hazard.  This you can tell by the disclaimer label on the bottom. For children under three the ribbon is a choking hazard according to said disclaimer.  Well that ribbon can be threatening to more than infants. We concluded in the wrong hands it could be lethal to any age group. This bunny clearly should be taken off the market for the sake of public health and welfare!

No comments:

Post a Comment